Freshman Keena Barker and sophomore Lizzy Graham at Semi-State. (Photo provided by: Lizzy Graham)
Freshman Keena Barker and sophomore Lizzy Graham at Semi-State.

Photo provided by: Lizzy Graham

Cross Country Athletes Run Past the Limits

November 3, 2021

After three months with great results, the cross country season ended last Saturday in Shelbyville with Lizzy Graham and Keena Barker competing in the IHSAA Semi-State as individuals.  

This was the first time in a decade the cross country team has had members compete at the semi-state. 

‘’It is mind-blowing,” freshman Keena Barker said. ‘’We did not really think we could make it that far and it is crazy that one freshman and a sophomore were able to make it all the [way] to semi-state.’’

But in order to get there, the two young athletes had to train hard during the season not realizing the possibilities of reaching semi-state.  

“We had to work all season long to make it as far as we could,’’ sophomore Lizzy Graham said. ‘’And honestly when I started the season I wasn’t really expecting to make it to the semi-state but it was a really awesome experience to be able to do it.’’

The two runners aren’t stopping with this year’s success and are going to keep pushing forward to be even better next year. 

‘’I think it would be a really cool experience to perform better at semi-state next year,” Graham said. “I hope the whole girls team can compete next year.”

The participation in the semi-state was new to both athletes and they really enjoyed competing there.

‘’It is was kind of a crazy experience because there were so many people there and it just really cool to be with the best girls of the state and run with them,’’ Graham said.

The Register • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Register Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *