Defending home for four years

Hollingsworth finishes undefeated on home courts

Back to Article
Back to Article

Defending home for four years

Pierian photo by Coral Gregory

Pierian photo by Coral Gregory

Pierian photo by Coral Gregory

Isaiah Cox, Online Editor

With his dad, Randy Hollingsworth, as the head coach and two brothers, Eric Hollingsworth, playing tennis for IUPUI, and sophomore Kyle Hollingsworth playing right below him, senior Ryan Hollingsworth has had the pressure of tennis on him his entire life, but especially the last two years of high school.

“Having my dad as a coach just inspired me to always try and be a leader and be someone for the younger guys to look up to, especially my junior and senior year,” Hollingsworth said. “It’s different for the other players because at home, my brothers and I are always talking with my dad about future opponents and strategies for playing them, which the other guys don’t necessarily get. It just makes playing the sport more special for the whole family.”

Ryan started playing number one singles his junior year, after playing three singles his freshman and sophomore year, as his brother played one singles. He has played one singles through his senior year. He has been a part of a team with four straight Semi-State visits, and one team visit to State his sophomore year. His junior year he advanced to State as an individual and his senior year he did something his brother could not, win the North Central Conference title.

“My favorite memory from my career was definitely the moment Logan Mayer clinched the Semi-State championship for us my sophomore year,” Hollingsworth said. “It was the first time in Richmond history that a tennis team made it to State, so it was special for all of us. Playing in State was a super exciting experience. I also really enjoyed making it to State my junior year as an individual.”

But something he accomplished, with a Regional match win this past week, was he remained undefeated, as an individual, on the Richmond High School courts. Through the Richmond Invitational, an NCC Tournament at Richmond, and four straight years of both Sectional and Regional being played at Richmond, along with all regular season home matches, Ryan Hollingsworth never lost at Richmond as an individual.

“It didn’t really hit me until after my very last match at home against East Central, I walked off the court thinking about how that was my final match on the RHS courts and I just kind of thought about my career here and realized I had never lost a match here,” Hollingsworth said.

As far as his future in tennis goes, he isn’t sure about college, but he knows for certain about staying involved in tennis.

“At the moment, I’m undecided as to what I want to do with tennis in my future,” Hollingsworth said. “I’m still leaving the door open to play in college, but I for sure want to carry on the Hollingsworth tennis tradition with my kids and the community.”