Girls golf lands on the State green

Photo by Caleb Snyder via @LadyDevilsGolf on Twitter

Isaiah Cox, Online Editor

When the lady Red Devils teed off on Friday, September 28 at the Prairie View Country Club, this began the girls golf team capping off their season with a trip to the IHSAA State Finals.

“Overall the season was an extreme success,” coach Caleb Snyder said. “State did not go as we had planned but we were one of the final fifteen teams left in the state. That can’t be understated. Nearly 300 teams started the post season with hopes of making it and we were one of the fifteen that earned a State birth. This was the first State Finals in 8 years for the program.”

Senior Jacey Cornett was named Academic All-State earlier this year and at State was named an All-State golfer for the 2018 season.

“I was surprised when they announced that I was on the team and it’s a great honor to be both Academic All-State and All-State,” Cornett said. “I hope to continue playing golf in college but I haven’t decided exactly which school to play at since I have multiple offers.”

With the lineup of senior Jacey Cornett, senior Karissa Owens, junior Brianna Fisher, sophomore Ashlyn Spurrier, and freshman Esther Etherington, the Devils placed 15th.

“I’m extremely proud of the team and their accomplishments this year,” Snyder said. “We have worked extremely hard to build a culture of success and dedication and the team achieved both of those at the highest level this season.”

About the Writer
Isaiah Cox, Online Editor

I edit this website to the best of my abilities. I am a senior.