Ike Khamis dives into history books

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ike Khamis dives into history books

Senior Ike Khamis completes one of his dives at the State Finals in Indianapolis on Saturday, February 24, 2018. Khamis captures his second consecutive State title in addition to winning the mental attitude award.

Pierian photo by Katie Easley

Pierian photo by Katie Easley

Pierian photo by Katie Easley

Isaiah Cox, Online Editor

Senior diver Ike Khamis stands on a familiar podium as Principal Rae Woolpy puts on his first place medal as Khamis wins first place in State with a score of 583.4 in 12 dives. He is the first ever Red Devil individual athlete to win two state championships and placed both freshman and sophomore years. “It’s truly amazing to say I’ve been able to finish my high school diving career with two state diving championships,” Khamis said.

Khamis has been woking longer than four years on his journey. “I never would have imagined this would happen when I started high school diving my freshman year,” Khamis said. “I’ve been diving for 11 years now. In the mornings I would go to high school practice, then after school I would drive to Indianapolis for club practice. Even when high school season is over, I still have an all year club season. With the help from my parents and all of my coaches, I was able to go into these State meets prepared and ready to take on any challenges that I would face.”

Khamis takes pride in the encouragement he has received. “I am truly grateful for everyone’s support that they have given me, especially Mrs. Woolpy,” Khamis said. “If it was not for them, I never would have been where I am today.”

Khamis also received the IHSAA Mental Attitude Award. “This award is important to me because it allows me to see my hard work pay off,” he said. “I’ve been able to use the support from others to help me in my diving career and school work. I hope to show others that they can do anything as long as they believe in themselves.”

Khamis finishes his high school career and next year will attend University of Missouri where he committed last year.

About the Writer
Isaiah Cox, Online Editor

I edit this website to the best of my abilities. I am a senior.