Tawfeek resigns from coaching, teaching amid controversy over text message to player

Coach sent text encouraging player to take others with him if he transfers to another school

Cade Richey, Reporter

Former football coach Abe Tawfeek resigned recently under a cloud of controversy. Tawfeek was announced as Richmond’s head coach March 8, 2017 and led the team to an 0-10 season.

Sophomore Wyatt Byrd claimed Tawfeek was forced to resign because of text messages sent about players leaving the program.

“Well he asked me about ‘if I was transferring’ and I said I was thinking about it but I didn’t know yet for sure,” Byrd said.

Tawfeek asked Byrd to let him know his decision. “He wanted to be the first to know because it’d be respectful,” Byrd said. “I said I didn’t know for sure so I didn’t tell him.”

The former coach also wanted to know Byrd’s reasoning. According to Byrd, “Everyone is selfish and everyone thinks they are too good for all the hard work,” he said. “Their attitudes are terrible and it feels like no one has each other’s back, also I just don’t think many college coaches are going to be looking at an 0-10 team.”

Byrd felt as if Tawfeek was encouraging the boys to leave. Part of Tawfeek’s text said, “…if you go make sure you take Julian and Sneddy with you. You guys deserve better.”

The administration offered good wishes to Tawfeek. “I appreciate the efforts of Coach Tawfeek, he has decided to pursue other opportunities that are closer to his family,” Athletic Director Larry Cochren said.

Tawfeek was contacted multiple times but did not respond to requests for an interview. The Register staff confirmed today that Tawfeek has also resigned from his teaching position.