Sectional preview for girls’ basketball

Shylah Gibson, Editor-in-Chief

The Lady Red Devils will be taking on Pendleton Heights Tuesday, January 30 at Connersville. The game will start at 6 p.m.

The girls have a season record so far of 11 wins and 1o losses. The girls have one remaining season game against South Adams on Thursday, January 25.  If the girls win their first sectional game they will advance to play Mount Vernon who they played earlier this season and lost with a score of 60-40.

Some of the girls shared their thoughts on how they felt the game will play out.

“I feel like it will be a close game, but I feel like we will come out on top,” junior Kelsey Mullins said. “In order to do that, we need to have leadership, confidence and play as a team. With it being the sectional, there may be different preparation because it could potentially be the last game of the season.”

Junior Kierra Wright mentions the energy that will be needed in order to have a positive outcome as well.

“The game will be a long and hard-fought game,” Wright said. “In order to have success, the team needs to be focused at all times. The bench also needs energy and focus just as much as the athletes on the court. The practicing leading up to the game will be more focused on the opponent. We will learn all of their strategies in order to play our best against them.”

Not only will the girls continue to focus on perfecting their weaknesses, but also attacking the weaknesses of the opponent.

“We know it’s going to be a tough game,” senior Anna Creech said. “We will come out prepared and ready to play. In order for us to have the outcome that we want we will have to focus on executing the little things. This game is not any different so we will continue to work on our struggles and attack their weaknesses.”

Senior Braxtyn Hurley mentions the hope of gaining the sectional title.

“If we go out and everyone plays as a team and we play hard we will walk away with a sectional title,” Hurley said. “If everyone plays individually then the hopes of the title are out the door. In order to win we just need to stay focused. We need to go hard in practice and maintain a high basketball IQ by knowing what to do and when to do it.”

Hurley also shared her thoughts on the change in preparation.

“There will be different preparation,” Hurley said. “There always is because no two teams play the same so we need to watch film in order to find their weaknesses and attack them from there. In order to do that, the coaches will more than likely make different defensive and offensive adjustments.”

“We will prepare by having laser-like focus on the little details,” coach Casey Pohlenz said.

About the Writer
Shylah Gibson, Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior and I play softball. I plan to attend college at either IUPUI or University of Indianapolis and study forensic science and maybe journalism...