Show us the $$$

School budgeting around RCS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Show us the $$$

Graph shows the percentage breakdown of money budgeted for RCS.

“Per student generally gets $5,352 for this year. Something that is set in the state budget. Changes every year and set every two years it changes to improve the State budget.”

“Additional funding is put towards services that students receive.”

“Funding goes towards to anything that touches anything with the students’ education, from teacher to custodian to principal to art supplies to science lab supplies, anything that goes towards the students’ education.”

“Every year, I keep a stack of spreadsheet that shows me how much we have in salaries and how much we have in benefits for all of our employees, doesn’t matter if they are a teacher, principal, lunch aid, we generally know how much each is going to cost us and we are able to budget that. And how much of the benefits that go with each person because that’s a package deal with the salary and benefit so that’s the number one cost in our budget. Then we move to what we have left. Which deals with Utilities, insurance for the Corporation, supplies, equipment, building cost if something needs to be fixed, everything that takes dollars to make sure that we can run our corporation and costs for busing and transportation, to fix buses, to provide food, for how much for services that we have to have to maintain things here. This takes time to make sure that everything is balanced. One thing that we want to always make sure of is that we don’t go over our budget. So we take it very seriously and we are always watching those numbers every month, if not every week on each of those categories so that we know where we are at any given time.”

“Getting the new school laptops have not affected the funding, it has affected the way we spend money. Student funding for book fees is provided in two ways. One way is through the parents paying and the second way is through State funding for families that qualify for assistance. It is the same cost per student. So that doesn’t change between either way. But it tells me how much we have in cost for technology because now those are the textbooks in a lot of cases. So instead of buying a book, we’re buying a laptop. Now instead of a paper book, we’re buying a digital one. So not much change on how I do it, just the way I have to plan for it.”

“It can be together in some cases. Sometimes there are funds that the Federal will pass to the State which will pass it to our Local and the Local will distribute it to the community. Often times it’s separated between federal and state and that’s primarily how we receive money. Not a lot of wiggle room to play with it. We receive guidance from State agencies on how those funds are dictated in spending and what we do to set it up to make that happen. So it’s very clear, the three primary areas of funding are usually separate.”

“The different school building budgets are as equal as possible. We have some State requirements that we are in a threshold in between buildings of like nature. We have the Elementary, Intermediate, and High School. Each section requires different needs. So the High School offers a lot more classes that the Elementary and Intermediate can’t and that costs more so you’ll have different costs at each level. However, the buildings between that level we have to be equitable. So a lot of what I do is look at how many students are in each building and dividing those areas that I can by the amount per student. You can’t always do that because Salary costs are Salary costs. Insurance costs are insurance costs. But you can in some areas like supplies, and we try very hard to make sure that it is per student.”

About the Writer
Kiersten Long, Co-online Editor

I am a junior, I love photography and writing is my passion. I will edit and keep up the website to the best of my abilities.