Sitting in Mrs. Hawley's second period Intro to Chemistry Physics class are many frehsmen students.

Amariah Smith

RHS freshmen reflect on their first semester of high school

February 27, 2019

For many of these freshmen, high school is a new experience and can be very nerve-racking. Meeting new friends, new teachers, new classes, and a new school is very exciting but sometimes it can be overthought. Many say its the worst and some say its the best but no matter what you think of high school it will always be a bunch of memories that you can look back on. High school for some is a place where you can find what you’re passionate about, your lover, friends, and a family. Throughout high school you build a bond with people that can’t be broken and freshmen year is where it all starts.

“In the beginning of the semester I was really nervous about high school work and the challenges but I did very well. Going from middle school to high school is a big step and adjusting might take a long period of time.”

— freshman Mallory Sparks

“It took some time to adjust but I just had to crack down and make sure I stayed focus on my academic work,” freshman Brigitte Reynolds said.

Many students look at high school as a fresh start and a new beginning.

“I couldn’t wait to meet new people and try new things,” freshman Sierra Rust said.

High school is a great time to set new and higher goals for yourself.

“I improved on myself and I started really focusing on turning things in on time and not procrastinating on everything,” Reynolds said.

Trying new things and finding some new hobbies is also another great way to meet other people.

“I tried HOSA which is a club off of biomed and I’m really enjoying it,” Sparks said. “I have met some amazing people and I’m having such a great experience.” 

High school has a lot more people than middle school and it tends to make students anxious.

I was really scared for the people but now that I’m here I don’t see why I was nervous or scared. Sometimes we try things and don’t like them but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great experience.”

— freshman Brigitte Reynolds

Sometimes we try things and don’t like them but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great experience.

“I’m taking track and I’m not liking it as much as I thought but it was still fun and I had a fun time with new people,” Rust said.

Once everyone has adjusted to the change, students start to get nervous about grades and the end of the grading period.

“I was scared that my grades wouldn’t be good but I just turned everything in on time and made sure I was on top of everything,” Sparks said. “My grades turned out really well, I got all As and an A- but I was very proud of myself.”

Motivation is always something good to have in high school and is a good way to help when struggling.

“My biggest motivation was my future,” Reynolds said. “I just kept thinking of this and knew that if I wanted a job, house, car, and a good life then I would need to do these things even if I didn’t want to.”