Why people are boycotting Nike

The smell of burning rubber and destroyed Nike socks display dislike towards a new face of Nike.

Shylah Gibson, Editor-in-Chief

During a 2016 NFL preseason game,  a kneel during the National Anthem turned into a protest and controversy for years to come.

During the final preseason game of the 49’ers, quarterback Colin Kaepernick made the groundbreaking decision to kneel during the National Anthem rather than stand.

Through this form of protest, Kaepernick was attempting to draw attention to the problem of police brutality against people of color.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick said in an interview at a press conference after sitting out during the anthem.

As a quick background of the protest, Kaepernick began sitting out during the playing of the National Anthem which didn’t get much press attention. After speaking to a U.S. Army veteran, Nate Boyer, he was convinced that kneeling rather than sitting would allow Kaepernick to both protest for his ideas and still show respect for veterans and those who lost their lives in war.

Quickly after Kaepernick began kneeling, the press followed and began to notice a numerous amount of both players and fans taking their part in kneeling during the anthem. This also led to a number of students sitting in schools during their own Pledge of Allegiance and both high school and collegiate athletes kneeling during the Anthem at their games.

Donald Trump eventually became involved with the protests and along with this came a larger group of debates. Through a large series of tweets from Trump, it was easy to see his opinion on the topic.

“Very important that NFL players STAND tomorrow, and always, for the playing of our National Anthem. Respect our Flag and our Country!” Trump said in a tweet from September 30, 2017.

Donald Trump’s tweet from September 30, 2017.

After a series of tweets from Trump, the public began to notice a controversy between the NFL players and owners.

In solution of this debate, the NFL decided that teams would be fined if all of their players did not stand for the National Anthem. In compromise, they will allow players to remain in the locker room during the anthem.

So, why are people boycotting Nike?

For Nike’s 30th anniversary, Colin Kaepernick has been named as one of the newest faces of the campaign. In result of this, Nike released an ad stating, “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.” Running across the face of Colin Kaepernick.

An ad which sparked debate and a boycott towards Nike.

This ad has sparked much debate since it was released earlier this month in New York. Within days of the ad being released, many Nike customers began burning and destroying their previously purchased Nike apparel.

In a tweet from a Twitter user, Sean Clancy, he states, “First the @NFL forces me to choose between my favorite sport and my country. I chose country. Then @Nike forces me to choose between my favorite shoes and my country. Since when did the American Flag and the National Anthem become offensive?

This tweet joins many others in a new debate regarding Kaepernick’s kneel and people have not shown joy towards Nike promoting the face of Kaepernick.

All together, Nike has not necessarily lost anything but angry customers through the use of this ad. According to an article titled, “Nike’s online sales surge in days after Kaepernick ad debut,” written by Sarah Whitten on CNBC it states, “shares of Nike shed 2.3 percent this week, but are up 28.9 percent since January. It currently has a market cap of $128.8 billion.”

Nike also shares that their campaign will include other athletes such as Serena Williams, LeBron James, Lacey Baker, Shaquem Griffin and Odell Beckham Jr.

About the Writer
Shylah Gibson, Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior and I play softball. I plan to attend college at either IUPUI or University of Indianapolis and study forensic science and maybe journalism...