Students, administrators remember coach Casey Pohlenz

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coach Casey Pohlenz fist bumps with senior Anna Creech during introductions prior to a game this season. Pohlenz died Friday, June 1, 2018.

Pierian photo by Scout Wampler

Pierian photo by Scout Wampler

Pierian photo by Scout Wampler

Shylah Gibson, Editor-in-Chief

Casey Pohlenz began teaching at Richmond as a social studies teacher in the 2008-2009 school year. Pohlenz not only worked as a teacher, but as the head coach for the Girls Basketball team as well. Many people have remembered Pohlenz as not only a teacher and a coach, but a friend and a shoulder to lean on.

“He was such an amazing person to the basketball girls,” senior Braxtyn Hurley said. “We were all his daughters, he always made sure we were okay before he was. He always had medicine for us and a shoulder to cry on but he never did carry a hair tie.”

Not only did Pohlenz impact his players on the court, but off the court as well.

“He changed me as a person and as a player,” Hurley said. “He got me so many college opportunities and so many new learning experiences with basketball.”

Before working at Richmond, principal Rae Woolpy met Pohlenz and quickly recognized his positive qualities.

“I first met Coach P when he began the Earlham MAT transition to teaching program in the summer of 2006,” Woolpy said. “I used to go to the summer workshops that they had and I would always meet the new folks who were going to be teachers and Casey and I hit it off immediately. It was his enthusiasm and his passion for education.”

After Pohlenz went through student teaching at Richmond, Woolpy felt as if Richmond needed someone like him.

“He did his student teaching under Chad Bolser and I got to know him better,” Woolpy said. “I always thought to myself, I have got to get this person at Richmond High School, we need him. He is all about kids and he loves kids.”

Woolpy later goes on to say that the following summer, a social studies job opened up at Richmond and she quickly recommended Pohlenz for the job where he later joined the coaching staff of the girls’ basketball team.

Pohlenz not only affected his players, but also his students and his friends in a variety of ways.

“Coach P taught three different subjects and was a great teacher at all of them,” RHS graduate of 2017, Kyla Wright said. “His students loved him, I never heard someone say ‘Ugh I have to go to Coach P’s class, he’s terrible,’ because he was a great teacher, coach, mentor and friend.”

Because of the turnout to his memorial service, held in the Tiernan center on June 3, 2018, many people could see the number of lives that Pohlenz touched in so many different ways.

Pohlenz’s family released a statement about his cause of death. “We have been notified that Casey passed away of a heart attack due to a birth defect in his heart that never showed any kind of symptoms so no one knew he had a issue. He did pass quietly, peacefully, and painlessly in his sleep.

About the Writer
Shylah Gibson, Editor-in-Chief

I am a senior and I play softball. I plan to attend college at either IUPUI or University of Indianapolis and study forensic science and maybe journalism...