Taylor, Carpenter killed in weekend incidents

Back to Article
Back to Article

Melany Dominguez, Ryan Miller, and Brianna Fisher

Two students lost their lives within 24 hours of each other over the Memorial Day Weekend.

Freshman Diante Taylor drowned at Natural Springs Resort on Monday, May 28, 2018. Taylor was swimming in the designated area in the quarry. Friends reported that Taylor went missing, and after a search, New Paris Police Chief Jeremy Schroeder was called. He then called the Richmond Fire Department dive team. Taylor’s body was recovered in the water and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

English teacher Damion Burns spoke about Taylor and his bright outgoing personality.

“Diante was one of my favorite students,” Burns said. “He wanted to know things and was never afraid to ask questions. Almost daily he would arrive to 7th period while I was still on my 6th period prep, and the two of us would just talk about whatever was on our minds. I looked forward to those conversations, and I will remember his bright personality, smile, and sense of humor. My thoughts are with his loved ones.”

Science teacher Sarah Hawley also spoke about Taylor’s personality.

“Diante was a sweet, funny, and kind young man,” Hawley said. “He was kind of like a kid brother personality, a little mischievous, but then he would give a goofy smile and you knew he was only kidding.”

Hawley also recalled how Taylor was kind to others.

“He was the kind of kid who stuck up for other people,” Hawley said. “Marissa Moore [one of Taylor’s peers] told me that everyone [was] picking on her during P.E. and he stuck up for her and got them to leave her alone. He will be missed and my heart is heavy with the loss of his light.”

Senior Tremell Carpenter died as a result of gunshot wounds after police were called to the Norwood Apartments shortly after midnight on Tuesday, May 29. When they arrived, they found Carpenter with at least 2 gunshot wounds in his abdomen according to the Palladium-Item. He was then taken to Reid Hospital and later flown to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton. There are reports the shooting had a connection with conflicts on May 28th at Natural Springs Resort in New Paris, Ohio. During this confrontation seen on social media, Carpenter and others were seen arguing.

Radio TV teacher James Russell spoke about Carpenter’s smile. “He had a smile that would light up the room,” Russell said.

English teacher Emily Sherrow also shared the qualities she will remember of Carpenter.

“Tremell brought energy to everything that he did,” Sherrow said. “He brought love and passion, sharing and kindness.”

Sherrow also spoke on the selfless acts of Carpenter.

“He gave you his love,” she said. “He gave you his time, he gave you his heart and personality and strength and he did it not wanting anything in return. He simply wanted to make people happy and he did.”

Funeral arrangements will be published when they are announced.

About the Writers
Melany Dominguez, Managing Editor

I am a junior. I love being active and involved. I am in student council and I am vice president of the junior class. I am also in drama club, RDMs, and...

Ryan Miller, Reporter

Hello, I am Ryan Miller and I am a reporter, and things i like to talk about are sports and some politics. I am wanting to go to college to become a sports...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Taylor, Carpenter killed in weekend incidents”

1. Alexis Wadsworth on May 29th, 2018 9:58 pm

Diante was a good friend of mine and was loved by many. He was the kindest soul you could ever meet. Fly high bud. We’ll miss you.
    I didn’t know Tremell personally but he was an amazing person from what I saw of him. He was always in the halls cheering people up and being nice. He will be missed dearly by many too.

2. Robin James on May 30th, 2018 12:09 am

No high school publication should have to run a story like this. I am so sorry for all who are grieving this loss today. Your story is well written.

3. Cheryl Hickson on May 30th, 2018 12:18 am

My heart goes out to the parents and families of these 2 young men. Such promising futures for both of them, the community has lost 2 bright lights for the future. I pray that out of these 2 horrific tragedies, will come a positive shift in the minds of our young people where they will look out for one another and protect and support each other going forward. I pray for the families of both young men and the extended school and community families that their lives have touched.

4. ShaKonia on June 20th, 2018 12:32 pm

Tremell carpenter is my cousin one day he came to my house and i was crying and he was like cuz don’t cry and he was just making me laugh tremell will make u have a smile on your face if u are sad or mad tremell will change that and u will be happy 😂😘 fly high melly # MELLY’S WORLD

• Taylor, Carpenter killed in weekend incidents

Around the school

Dennis shooting puts spotlight on school security

Around the school

Saturday night fever – where to hang out on days off

Around the school

Fluctuating gas prices

Around the school

Shamrock run arriving at face pace

Around the school

Plenty of help available for families during holidays

• Around the school

Juuls popularity blows up amongst teenagers

Feature

The Richmond explosion; 50 years after the tragedy

• Local

Enter here for March Madness bragging rights

News

Climate change

Feature

Join our March Madness bracket challenge