• Spring Break: March 26-March 30

Students join nationwide walkout

Students honor 17 killed with 17 minute vigil

Sophomores Gabby Martinez and Kelsey Green participate in the moment of silence along with other students during a walkout on March 14, 2018 supporting the students who were killed in the Florida school shooting.

Register photo by Courtnie Auxier

Register photo by Courtnie Auxier

Shylah Gibson, Editor-in-Chief

Seventeen minutes of silence occurred while approximately 200 students of RHS protested for the 17 lives lost during the school shooting which took place last month at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL.

Many students felt as if the walkout was an appropriate time to honor those who lost their lives.

“Florida is my home state,” junior Caitlyn Williamson said. “Hearing about all of these shootings that are happening really gets to my heart. I just want to honor the people who did die.”

Some people also believe that kindness plays a major role in the attempt to end school shootings.

“Really all that matters is that you give the kindness and friendship to stop the next one,” sophomore Nick Shinn said. “It’s usually the kids who are just left alone and lonely. They don’t have anybody to fall on so they get rid of the people that they can’t trust.”