Four students qualify for National in speech

Kyleeanne Wood, Reporter

The Speech team competed in District last Saturday, March 3rd. Students Kay Walker, Logan Mathews, Alex Eastman, and Emma Socey qualified for the National Speech and Debate Tournament and will be competing in Florida this June. Each student makes RHS history, they will be first time competitors in their selective events in a National competition.

“It will be a long, but rewarding process,” coach Ronnie Swango said. “The trip will cost a considerable amount and so we will have to do some fundraising to ensure our team gets to represent RHS in June.”

In the next upcoming months the four qualifiers and coaches will be working hard until Nationals.

“Assistant coach, CJ Scott, and I will put a plan in place regarding practice schedules,” he said. “Our whole team has a lot of work cut out for them, from re-cutting pieces, staying up to date on research, polishing delivery, etcetera. But, we are definitely excited for these students and the future of the program.

Swango has big hopes for this Nationals and plans to see success.

“Hopefully, we can get someone into the top 30 and beyond, which is something no one has done in the short time I’ve been teaching,” Swango said.

Along with National, the Speech team will be competing for State this Saturday, March 10th.

About the Writer
Kyleeanne Wood, Reporter
Hi I’m Kyleeanne Wood. I’m a sophomore at Richmond High School and participate in the RHS speech team, BPA, and intern at my local city building. In the future, I plan to major in Political Science or law and someday work in the federal government.