• Blood drive on Friday, September 22.

Homecoming to look a bit different this year, in the future

"Bleacher Creatures" cheer during a recent football game. School spirit has been on the rise this year thanks to this group and changes are coming to Homecoming activities.

Pierian photo by Sierra Spicer

Pierian photo by Sierra Spicer

Maddie Brunton, Reporter

It is 4 o’clock on a Friday afternoon, the football game is in t-minus 3 hours, and students are getting pumped up. Everyone gathers and they’re all huddled in a circle… Let the homecoming games begin!

Homecoming week is filled with dress-up days and the game on Friday night, but something is missing. For students, an evening of olympic-type games could make the week a great bonding experience for everyone.

“The spirit has definitely been picked up compared to last year and I hope that it will continue to be that way,” freshman Amanda Wolfe said.

“After the first football game the student body’s spirit was a lot higher than what it has been previously and I hope that that continues,” Athletic Director Larry Cochren said. “I’d like to see that carry over not only through the fall sports but the winter and the springs sports as well.”

Richmond students have said that they would like to make these games appear. Administrators would however encourage the students to own up to their word and make these games happen.

“I don’t know how the kids feel, the students feel, I would value their input or what they want to do,” principal Rae Woolpy said. “Ultimately, it’s the students school and we want to help students recreate that school spirit. But as with many things, they have to have that ownership and they have to believe that’s something that they want to do.”

“It would be a good opportunity for the students to show more school spirit and get the athletes excited for the game,” Wolfe said.

Students have suggested many different activities that would allow a bigger crowd in these homecoming games.

“I would want fun and competitive mini games such as flag football or the toilet paper roll wrapping game,” Wolfe said. “Games that would be lots of fun and bring school spirit.”

“You just hope that it gives everybody a little bit extra boost of energy,” Cochren said.

With the Homecoming football game fastly approaching, senior Rebekah Williams the head of student council, shares important information regarding the homecoming dance.

“The homecoming dance was originally made as a student council fundraiser and after the game last year we didn’t really make a lot of money, this year we are going to make the game a lot bigger this year,” she said.

After the lack of student attendance to the Homecoming dance last year along with years in the past, the student council and Woolpy decided that the dance will no longer be taking place.

“Nobody comes and when nobody comes to the dance, the students that have worked hard to decorate and put the dance together aren’t actually making any money,” Woolpy said. “Sometimes they’re losing money.”

There are a few new things in store this year.

“We’re going to have a pep assembly,” Woolpy said. “We’re going to recognize and celebrate all kinds of activities that are going on in the school, athletic teams and just make it a school spirt type of assembly and that is being brought to us by the Climate Changers.”

Woolpy’s ideas are sure to get the student body talking. Not only about the non returning homecoming dance but, about the future of the school’s homecoming too.

“Overall, we are planning on making it a big and wild homecoming night,” Williams said.