Gaming: the digital drug

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gaming: the digital drug

GAMING is very common, and it has grown within our culture. Gaming is used for entertainment, but can also affect your brain, positively or negatively.

When people spend time on video games, it could possibly be a stress reliever.

“In general, the reason why people spend so much time and money it’s obviously there’s the entertainment factor, ” senior Morgan Armstrong said.

There’s also an addictive factor to gaming.

“You get a lot of dopamine, which is the chemical for happiness in the brain and people crave that, it’s an addiction,” Armstrong said. “I’m not saying gaming is an addiction, but that chemical itself is. With gaming, that’s a lot of the time and ways of finding happiness.”

Gaming has also helped with student’s emotions.

“It can also compensate for like the negative emotions they in feel that day, ” Armstrong said.

Gaming can open up conversations with new people.

“It’s amazing how many people you’d meet online, that you would have never have met in real life,” sophomore Nick Rader said.

The gaming industry is up there along with professional sports like the NFL, NBA, and others.

Gamesindustry.biz states “Global gaming revenue on par with sports at $149bn for 2017 global.”

Rader spends more time playing video games than the average gamer.

“[I play] 7 to 8 hours a day or 8 or 9 hours a day,” Rader said.

Rader spends part of his hours playing Fortnite. Fortnite is one of the biggest games and it is growing constantly.

A report from timeinc.net saying that Fortnite makes 1.5 million dollars a day just on iOS. That is excluding platforms such as PC, PS4, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, and Android. One of the key reasons why Fortnite has done so well since coming out September 26th of 2017. It’s a free-to-play game which cost you nothing. But how is it bringing in so much money daily, if it’s free? Commonly said around in the Fortnite community, are cosmetics, or ‘skins.’ There are different types of cosmetics you could buy, you can only buy with V-Bucks. This is the currency you can purchase in Fortnite to buy cosmetics. Items you can buy from their item shop range from 200 V-Bucks to 2000 V-Bucks. That is a majority of the profit that Epic Games makes constantly.

It competes with other big games, such as Red Dead Redemption 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Fallout 76 and others.

But how much time exactly does the average gamer spend time playing a game? The average gamer spends about spends about 6 to 10 hours, specifically playing Fortnite.

According to Dr. Brent Conrad, Clinical Psychologist for techaddiction.ca, “The percentage of people who regularly play video games has increased as well and today 97% of children play video games. At present, however, most research on video game addiction suggests that from 2 to 10% of all children who play video games are addicted. Recalling that virtually all children play video games, even a 2% rate of addiction translates into many many children with very unhealthy gaming habits.”According to Keith Bakker on webmd.com, he says “Children who play four to five hours per day have no time for socializing, doing homework, or playing sports, he says. “That takes away from normal social development. You can get a 21-year-old with the emotional intelligence of a 12-year-old. He’s never learned to talk to girls. He’s never learned to play a sport.”

About the Writer
Ryan Miller, Reporter

Hello, I am Ryan Miller and I am a reporter, and things i like to talk about are sports and some politics. I am wanting to go to college to become a sports...