Things to know about Halloween

When are you too old?

As he is putting on his Jason mask, he begins to wonder, “Am I too old to be trick-or-treating?” At 15 years of age, the high school student begins to feel embarrassed.

There are a couple of different opinions on this on the age limit for trick-or-treating.

“I think that a reasonable age to stop trick-or-treating is 18,” sophomore Lauren Schweppe said. “At that age, because once you graduate high school you have to start focusing on college and work a lot of the time.”

Junior Kelsey Green thinks differently.

“I think 17 is a good age,” Green said. “You’re no longer a kid at that point.”

Some students feels that older kids no longer want to trick-or-treat due to embarrassment.

“I think older kids get embarrassed to go trick-or-treating because of the social stigma people put on those they see coming of age,” junior Dylan Jacob said. “Other than that, most older kids got priorities like jobs and other responsibilities.”

Schweppe thinks that adults may be the problem as to why older kids no longer want to go trick-or-treating.

“I think parents and grandparents are telling their kids that they’re getting to old to dress up and trick-or-treat,” she said.

Jacob is an example of this because he was told to stop trick-or-treating by his mother.

“I wish I still did,” he said. “I mean, who wouldn’t want to get some free treats for walking around and having fun with friends and family? But sadly I don’t [trick-or-treat] anymore. I stopped two years ago when I was approached by my mother who thought it would ultimately be best to stop now and to pass out candy instead.”

Like Jacob, Green was also approached by her mother.

“I do not [go trick-or-treating],” she said. “My mom doesn’t allow me to.”

Unlike Jacob and Green, Schweppe decided to stop trick or treating through her own decision.

“I do not, because my family likes to just pass out the candy and see all of the other kids costumes,” she said.

In Schweppe’s case, she decided to follow a path of tradition.

“In my family, it’s kind of a tradition that once you hit the age of 12 you stop trick-or-treating and start spending more time with family,” she said.

Green thinks there are alternatives if you no longer want to go trick or treating.

“Passing out candy is a great way to still stay in the spirit,” she said. “Also we have a lot of amusement parks and attractions around Richmond for haunted houses and such. Also just get all your friends together and do something, because odds are they aren’t doing anything as well.”

Four things you didn’t know about All Hallows Eve

1.) The Origins of Halloween

All Hallows Eve or better known as Halloween originates from an ancient Celtic festival,that began in Ireland 2,000 years ago. The festival was a celebration of the end of the harvest season. It was also believed that on October 31, the boundary of the two worlds (the living and the dead) would be blurred. This meaning the dead would come back to life and cause havoc among the living. In order to scare the dead, the living would wear costumes and masks.

2.) Candy Pounds

The average American eats 3.4 pounds of candy on Halloween. According to the National Retail Federation it is expected that $2.7 billion will be spent on candy this Halloween.

3.) Which way did the witch go?

Another tradition that dates back to Celtic traditions  from 2,000 years ago is wearing your clothing inside out and walking backwards. When doing this, it was believed that you would be sure to see a witch at midnight.

4.) The cost of Halloween

Halloween is the second most commercial holiday, behind Christmas. Around 6.1 billion dollars are spent in America on Halloween- it is spent on candy, costumes, and decorations. A big portion of it also comes from Halloween pet costumes.

October around the world

China

In October, China hosts various festivals like the Teng Chieh and The Festival of the Hungry Ghosts. During the Teng Chei, the Chinese celebrate the life of their relatives who have passed away, and they place food and water in front of pictures of these relatives. They believe that the spirits of their ancestors travel over from “the other world” to Earth so they light the way for them by lighting fires.

Mexico

In Mexico they celebrate what is called “El Dia de los Muertos,” or “The Day of the Dead.” This is a three-day holiday which begins at midnight on October 31st and ends on November 2nd. “The Day of the Dead” is a holiday meant for remembering and for celebrating the life that a loved one who has passed away lived. Many households create and decorate altars, either in their homes or at the grave of their loved ones.

Austria

People will leave bread, water and a lighted lamp on the table before retiring on Halloween night. This is done because it is believed that by leaving those items it will welcome the dead souls back to Earth.

Japan

In Japan they celebrate the “Obton Festival,” which is dedicated to the spirits of those who have passed away. During this festival, people hang up bright red lanterns and make special dishes.

Germany

In Germany spirits are known to come back to Earth; therefore, people decide to hide any knives they own. They put away their knives in order to not risk harm from or to the spirits.