Pros and cons vary on class count

Kiersten Long, Reporter

Classes vary from low student count of 20 and below to a higher student count of 30 or more.

Students have different opinions on the pros and cons of being in bigger or smaller classes. Bigger or smaller classes, has some huge differences, and those differences made a fine line between which students preferred,  and why and if the one they preferred affected the way they learned of the way the teachers taught.

Some prefer the smaller classes like senior Jordan Frye, “I like small classes especially for a college class like ACP Government because it is one of the hardest classes I have ever took and I have a record of AP classes.”

Other students are in the middle about the opinion.

“Personally, I am pretty indifferent on having a big or small class,” freshman Crystal Tran said. “I think there is a lot of other factors that go into what makes a class environment good. Each teacher has their own set or rules on expectations that will set the stage for what classes with them are going to be like.”

It may be dependent upon the teacher if the students idea of education is built on the size of the class or the relationship formed with the instructor.

“It [a smaller class] really creates a bond with the teacher and even students and everyone wants to help everyone,” Frye said. “Rather than the information thrown on a powerpoint, though it happens, there is a personal understanding where the teacher can help you directly before, after, or during school.”

Students like junior Djuan Mathis agree with Frye that the size of the class determines how the class goes.

“With big classes you don’t get as much help but with smaller classes you have to participate more,” Mathis said.

The other half of it is from the students side of learning from different sized classes.

“Liking bigger or smaller classes all depend on what you want from a class, they both will teach you the same information, but in somewhat opposite ways,” Tran said.

A possible problem could be attention and or communication between students and teachers in class.

“Every student requires an equal amount of attention,” Frye said. “If you add people then that attention will lessen with each and every person.”

Tran faces the issue from a different perspective: not just the attention students should get, but the enjoyment they need in the classroom.

“Classes are usually fun and there’s always somebody to raise their hand to answer a question,” she said. “It allows for students to be more independent and self-motivated, because teachers can’t do a lot of one-on-one with students.”

Some bigger issues with bigger classes were explained by Tran.

“The biggest issue would be disengagement,with such a big class you can’t always see everything and know what’s going on,” she said. “Everyday I see the same people in front of me with their laptops open looking like their working, but  they are always on youtube watching Fortnite videos during the work time. Smaller classes put more spotlight on a single person, but at the same time, can help them more closely.”

Frye believes in the importance of contact with teachers.

“Without a bond I am able to share with my teacher, success would be quiet hard to achieve,” he said.

Some pros might fall in some students advantages in bigger classes.

“There’s not a spotlight on you all time, which for some people with anxiety is very calming, at least for me, and if you get a bad grade you can almost always know a couple other people did worse,which sounds a little bad but it’s the truth,” Tran said.

About the Writer
Kiersten Long, Reporter

I am a junior, I love photography and writing is my passion.