Fall sport teams finish out season and work towards final success

Ryan Miller, Reporter

FootballAFTER a winless 2017-2018 season and the resignation of a coach, the football team worked their way towards a better season this year. Though the team struggled with a so far losing record of 2-9, they have improved both mentally and physically this season. With the help of both the crowd and an improved coaching staff, the Devils now make their approach to the second round of their Sectional which will take place on October 26 on Lyboult Field. Due to the time of the paper coming out, we will not be able to report the outcome. According to the players, one of the hardest challenges the Devils faced came from their differing levels of competition. The Devils faced larger schools resulting in losses, but allowed the team to grow as a family and as players overall. Facing both Anderson and Muncie Central, the Devils approached a close game, yet came up short.

ACCORDING TO THE PLAYERS:  “While changes in coaching from year to year suck, we finally have a very experienced coach who’s gone to the big stage, winning a state championship,” senior Brice Brown said. “Coach Lewis will turn this program around and Richmond will turn back into the powerhouse it once was.”

Girls Soccer: The Lady Devils ended their season with a tough match facing Mt. Vernon. In the end, many of the players ended with awards. Junior Nakala Bennett, senior Courtney McNew and senior Payton VanMiddlesworth were All-NCC 1st Team selections, and seniors Mackenzie Cook and Marie Suarez were All-NCC 2nd Team selections. In their sectional, they finished their sectional run 1-1 beating East Central, then losing to Mt. Vernon the following week.

Boys Soccer: The boys’ team had to readjust to the changes of a new coach. Their coach Matt Jenkins took over for the team after last year. They struggled in times, but then recovered during others. Players that went to All NCC teams were junior Andrew Click who was an All-NCC 1st Team selection, and senior Hunter Walters as an All-NCC 2nd Team selection.

Girls Golf: The girls had a great season, finishing their year off going undefeated, making their way to the sectional. The Red Devils had a combined score of 336 coming in first place winning the NCC Championship. The experience for some was very exciting considering the girls had the chance to travel to the State competition.

“It was a pretty cool experience being able to go to the state finals and being a freshman,” freshman Esther Etherington said.

One of the top golfers, senior Jacey Cornett, won a personal award for Academic All-State.

“I could not be more honored to have received Academic and All State team recognition,” Cornett said. “I couldn’t have asked for a better way to end my high school golf career.”

They went to State finishing 15th place, ending their year.

Volleyball: Girls Volleyball had a record of a 6-7 in the regular season, and lost in their sectional. They had nice leads against teams like Pendleton Heights, but then came up short. The girls also competed in the NCC Tourney going 2-1. This record including a loss against Kokomo, and wins against Logansport and Lafayette Jeff. Though the season did not go exactly as planned, the girls experienced many hard fought games and found bondage as a team.

Both Cross Country teams: The girls’ team did well this year, making it all the way to the sectional. Rather than winning, they know the definition of team play.

“[We are] focusing on bonding as a team,” senior Madeline Freeman said.

The girls’ team has qualified for their state meet. They qualified at the Delta Invitationals, placing 3rd out of 13 teams. And for their sectional, they placed 8th place out of 13 teams wrapping their season up.

Though the team itself did not advance, senior Jasmin Lykke advanced herself to the regional competition.

The Boys team competed during the NCC Tourney finishing 10th.Their best placed runner, Hunter Jordan, placed 43rd. In their sectional, they finished 11th out of 13 teams. Their best team placement was on Sept. 7th, when they got 5th place.

Boys Tennis:  Boys tennis set the mark this season going 13-1 in the regular season and winning the NCC (North Central Conference) Championship. They ranked #29 in the state, competing with schools such as Carmel, West Lafayette, and others.

The boys did focused on other aspects as well, rather than just looking at this from a winning aspect.They also spoke on learning to be a family and how that is an even greater achievement.

“We’re really close, we’re all really good friends,” Ryan Hollingsworth said.

Ryan Hollingsworth, Kyle Hollingsworth, George Dickman, Jake Miller, Luke Hays, and Joey Chimenti were all named to the All-NCC team for a way to wrap a successful season.

About the Writer
Ryan Miller, Reporter

Hello, I am Ryan Miller and I am a reporter, and things i like to talk about are sports and some politics. I am wanting to go to college to become a sports...