Students share experiences with their animals

Faith Wages, Reporter

Sally sat on her bed, emotions bubbling on the surface. Tears streamed her face, rising above the stress and emotional boundaries. As a comfort, her little fur ball propped herself on her leg, licking her face effortlessly until a smile replaced the tears.

“I saw her more as a companion and a friend rather than me being a caregiver,” senior Tajae Wheeler said.

Some household pets build a bond with their owners, resulting in the idea of family.

“I was really excited to get a dog,” Wheeler said. “At the time I didn’t have one so I was hyped. It was pretty sad having to get rid of her. I was definitely attached. I got her when she was a puppy. I guess she was weird the entire time we had her, but she was ideal.”

Some pets may act different which adds to their unique qualities.

“She would chew on my socks and attempted to eat flies,” Wheeler said.

Owners may even question them at times.

“My cats steal my hair ties, Macy chases her tail and bites at water, Blake and Gunner are plain stupid and don’t know what their doing half the time, and Cooper is an old man; so he’s lazy,” freshmen Alexis Baumer said.

Sometimes owning a pet comes with the loyalty to keep them as your own.

“We actually have to move from our current home because the landlord doesn’t want us to have dogs, so it was get rid of them or move,” junior Heaven Smith said. “So we chose to move instead.”

Having pets may change the way you live your everyday life, keeping a cautious thought in mind.

“I have to be more aware of what I do or the things I leave out so the dogs don’t get sick or hurt themselves,” Smith said. “It also make me more responsible because I care not just for me but for them too.”

Having a pet can also affect the way a person thinks about animals in general.

“She changed my opinion on how I felt about dogs,” Wheeler said. “I used to hate them.”

A lesson may come from having a pet, more than just responsibility.

“To not judge a book by its cover,” Wheeler said. “She was an ugly thing but the coolest dog. She was so cute, she was ugly.”

Pets may be taken in for a specific reason, but end up growing in the home.

“For protection initially,” Wheeler said. “She was a boxer and pitbull mix. She degraded to a house pet as she grew older.”

Sometimes pets are not meant to be lifetime members, resulting in a limited time to keep them around.

“About four years or so,” Wheeler said. “But we couldn’t afford her at the time.”

Owning more than one pet in a house can come with it’s own experiences.

“We love both dogs equally,” Smith said. “I learned if you show more love to one dog, even the slightest bit more than the other, it turns out bad.”

Disciplining pets may become natural for owners.

“I will pop them on the butt if they poop or pee in the house or tear our things up,” Smith said. “It just shows that I need to make sure the dogs health comes first and that I am being as loving as I can and be there when they need me.”

Some may not be able to scold their pets because of the bond they have already built.

“I would feel bad if I did,” Wheeler said. “She was my lil dude.”

Some may even face the challenge of separation from their animals.

“I have two dogs, two cats and a hamster at my mom’s house and at my dad’s, I have two dogs,” Baumer said. “I consider them all my own.”

Pets may also be a relief containment for their owners, a post to lean on in times of need.

“I used to feel alone because my mom was working a lot and and my brother would leave the house so I would cook and clean the house and do homework by myself,” Smith said. “Sometimes I would get scared since I don’t live in a safe neighborhood or if it would storm and all the power went out. So my mom got the dogs so I would feel safe when I come home from work or when I’m alone.”