How will the repeal of net neutrality affect RHS?

Kyleeanne Wood, Reporter

Free internet had been a universal truth, however this may no longer be the case. On December 14, 2017 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted in favor to repeal net neutrality with a 3-2 vote. Under net neutrality, the internet could access all content and applications regardless of the source.

“Net neutrality has been the status quo, since the internet was ever formed,” RHS technology coordinator Rodrick Landess said. “No one’s ever really tried to control the form of traffic.”

With net neutrality, many people didn’t think about it until the announcement of its repeal.

“Net neutrality has never been an issue until recently, I’m familiar with it that way,” Landess said.

Although, the issue of net neutrality has grown Landess doesn’t think it will affect the classroom.

“Our ISP is a little different because we don’t go through Comcast, Frontier, or AT&T we go directly to educational networks of America, they specialize for k-12 networks so they would have no reason to throttle us,” Landess said.

While the school networks don’t have reasons to be hurt, Landess couldn’t promise other forms wouldn’t be hurt.

“It’s totally conceivable that content like Netflix, youtube things like that could get throttled,” Landess said.

“Professionally it would affect everyone as a whole. Personally, it’s going to impact younger students,” he said.

Students have already come out to say how the repeal of net neutrality could affect them.

“I’m literally never off of social media,” senior Destiny Garcia said.

Without net neutrality Garcia has claimed how the pricing of social media could change.

“I’ve seen that [the possible cost of social media] and how their going to try and charge you for monthly things,” Garcia said. “I would lose my social life because I don’t got that kind of money.”

Social media doesn’t just play a part of students lives, but also teachers.

“A lot of us use that [social media] for collaboration, like Facebook pages that show and promote what’s happening in the classroom,” AP computer science teacher Selm said.

Without that form of communication, Selm said classrooms could loss innovation.

“The biggest restriction would be limiting the innovation online,” Selm said.

While businesses would be affected, schools would be in the same way.

“It’s restricting their creativity, their innovation, ability to promote all their new businesses online and it would be the same for the classroom,” Selm said.

All the same, if your a teacher or a student you could be affected from this repeal according to Selm.

“If it impacts the actual school education then it would trickle down to the educators, students, administrators; it would impact everybody,” Selm said.

Although, Selm said the repeal could affect everyone, there’s no guarantee it will all happen right away.

“Everything right now is kinda heresy,” Selm said. “It would be something that would be gradual.”

Landess also agreed with Selm.

“We probably won’t see any big changes, because they won’t want any flashback,” Landess said. “It’s a really complicated issue and it’s all speculation.”

Garcia agreed with Landess and Selm.

“I don’t see it happening fast, not at all,” she said.

However, whether on not the repeal of net neutrality will happen in 1 year or 10 years, Landess claimed it will change the internet’s future.

“It could change the nature of the internet,” he said.