Richmond’s original, unique spots

by Brianna Fisher

Brianna Fisher, Reporter

Richmond may look small when driving through the same town seeing the same places day by day, but there are actually a variety of places that many people may not have thought to visit. Civic Theatre may be viewed as just a theatre for some people, but for others it could be more like a home. “I was homeschooled until sixth grade, after that I still did some theatre but before that I use to be in a lot of plays and that’s one of my safe places,” sophomore Jakin Hoffer said. “It’s really cool when you are on a stage, even if you are shy in a conversation with someone. When you are on stage, nobody knows who you are so you can let your personality out which was one of the reasons it was kind of a big thing for me.” Hayes Arboretum is another place that people often mistake for something less than what it is. This Arboretum is more than just a piece of land. “Hayes Arboretum makes Richmond seem like much more of an environmentally friendly place,” sophomore Camille Knight said. Hayes Arboretum is even involved in the community. “It’s unique to Richmond because Hayes Arboretum does a lot for the community and is very involved,” Knight said. “It’s a fun spot to hang out and see the arboretums nature scenery.” Hayes Arboretum isn’t just a special spot for Knight but her friends as well. “It’s really peaceful and pretty,” Knight said. “It’s real fun to just go and mess around, walk through the paths, and go hang by the fountain. A couple of my friends and I have a little bridge down in hayes arboretum.” The Civic Theatre has attracted many people from a variety of places. “The fact that we have a good theatre program that actually brings in a lot of actors and other people around Richmond and just outside is great for us,” Hoffer said. The places themselves aren’t the only things that are beautiful to people as well is the architecture of the buildings. “The fact that it [Depot District] is so old and still has the old buildings it shows part of the original Richmond,” sophomore Riley Wetzel said. The architecture also allows an older perspective of Richmond. “The architecture has a lot to do with it as well as the way the building is made and how historic it is, that is another aspect of it,” Hoffer said. “It’s a set part of history from Richmond’s prime. The theatre helps hold onto that.” Not only does the theatre intrigue people from Richmond’s Community but it brings in actors and entertainment lovers from other places which brings awareness about Richmond to other towns. “I really think it brings in a unique crowd of people which is really cool because you get a completely different dynamic when it comes to culture and we have the only theatre near here like that,” Hoffer said. Something else that adds to the culture are the shops in the Depot District. “There’s lot of good food and they have lots of cute little shops such as Painte the Towne and Roscoe’s,” Wetzel said. “Its cool to see that Richmond has a place that is so original to us.”