First impressions sometimes wrong

Tanazia Deloney, Reporter

It is your first day at a new school, walking into your new first period class, everybody in the class stops doing their work and stares. You are wondering what they are thinking about you, then you begin to wonder if you are wearing the right clothes, if your hair looks decent, or if there is anything on your clothing. When really, they are judging you based on their first impressions. First impressions are when one person first encounters another person and forms a mental image of that person.

“First impressions are formed based on appearance and attitude,” student teacher Kaitlyn Brunner said. “If someone is wearing baggy pants we assume that they have less discipline than someone wearing a suit. If someone speaks with colloquialisms [a word or phrase that is not formal or literal], we assume they are less intelligent than someone who speaks ‘proper’ English. These are all the consequences of someone’s culture.”

Impressions can be just like stereotyping somebody, but not in an ethical way. It is more of a judgement based upon looks and actions.

“Most people see me as shy,” freshman Austi Jenkins said. “If they become close I tend to open up and ‘surprise’ I am more open.”

Just like stereotypes, assumptions are made about one another but it could possibly change once you get to know somebody.

“They look at me as a loser and because I am so tiny, and they don’t want to hang out with me,” freshman Katherine Ford said. “I had friends in the past that have done that in the past and they judged me before they got to know me.”

People shouldn’t have to strive to be perfect.

“I think it’s sort of both, I don’t have a good style yet,” Ford said. “I am awkward and shy and they act like I am weird and don’t want to hang out with me.”

Impressions can be based off two things: someone’s actions or what they are wearing.

“I think right off the bat your first impression is based off first impressions all alone,” Biology teacher Stephanie Stout said.

When people assume something about someone just because they are shy or quiet.

“I am a shy person,” junior Lily Anderson said. “People think I am rude but if people talk to me I lighten up.”

If you get to know somebody, you may come to find that they are not the person you thought they would be.

“I think you should get to know someone before you judge them,” Ford said. “‘Don’t judge a book by its cover,’ and I feel like it’s not necessary.”

One thing can be determined by first impressions and it’s something that could help you in the long run.

“The fact that our culture places so much emphasis on making a good first impression during interviews is hilarious to me because we all act so fake,” Brunner said. “We change ourselves to appeal to our employer, resulting in an inaccurate first impression. I think the world would be a much better place if we were more cognizant of these stereotypes and placed more emphasis on getting to know the person, not the generalization.”